16 Mar WordPress Workshop Follow-Up Resources
Thank you so much for coming out on Saturday and for learning with me – I learned a lot from all of you, and I hope the workshop was helpful. Please do contact me any time and I will do my best to get back to you with support!!
Below are the Follow-Up Resources I said I would get back to you with! (And for anyone just reading- this lists some of the things we covered or specific questions that were asked about during the workshop)
1. Handouts from the workshop are here:
– thank you for providing feedback on these – I have edited the document and updated it – but also welcome any further feedback – please be in touch directly with me.
2. Youtube Videos -Embedding
It turns out I was showing you the embed code through youtube, when all we needed to do was use the youtube URL – here is a link to documentation for youtube, when using wordpress.com websites:
Here is a link to the site we were working on with it embedded:
AND the CC (closed caption) appeared automatically- I turned it on before I copied the link. But I am not 100% sure if it will do that every time, so here area couple of links I found about forcing the CC to appear:
(Please note that some of the text I read through the search was quite abelist if you do a search yourself)
3. Free FTP Software:
4. Moving your WordPress site from one location (folder) to another (making it live) – in other words, KEEPING IT HIDDEN until you publish
Here is a good link- please note the instructions, and then the followup question and response about moving your database. MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP! It’s so important!
5. Creating Page or Website Redirects
Depending on the situation, you can use these options in these tutorials:
– https://css-tricks.com/redirect-web-page/ (HTML redirect – for the whole website, if you put it on your homepage)
Again please be in touch with any follow-up questions!